Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

From QOV Newsletter

In honor of Veterans Day,
I am posting a link to the Quilts of Valor website:


If you are new to Quilts of Valor, I hope you will take a minute and look.

It talks about National Service . . .
Uncle Sam Honor Roll
From QOV Website
. . . and mentions the way our Veterans were treated coming home from Vietnam. This hits home for me every day as my husband is a Vietnam Vet.  These stories of the shabby treatment of our homeward bound vets are true.  We can't erase that period of time, but with Quilts of Valor we can move forward.

One way to do this is a new program called "Under Our Wings."
Under Our Wings
From QOV Website
  
"Under Our Wings" has been designed to reach out to new quilters, shop owners, fabric designers and a host of other ways to volunteer.

Quilts of Valor is not political, it doesn't support war, but it does support those men and women that have answered the call of duty over the years.  Their mission statement says:

The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover ALL combat service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor.  This foundation is not about politics.  It's about people.

 We often think, "I am only one person, what difference can I make?"

Well, here is one person I would like you to meet: Alycia Quilts

When I grow up, I want to be just like her!!

 You can make a huge difference in the life of a veteran.
I would also like to give a call out to my other favorite veteran, my son-in-law.  He served 18 mo. in Operating Iraqi Freedom.

"Over twenty-two million living Veterans today embody our exceptional character and values as a people."  ~~Eric K. Shinseki, Secretary of Veterans Affairs

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...